The Kogarah Bay Progress Association has a long established history of successfully campaigning on behalf of the residents of the Kogarah Bay Ward and surrounding suburbs.
Some of the key wins for the Association in past years include the following.
Sans Souci Convent
The Sans Souci convent was sold by the Catholic Church in January 1995 to the former Southern Health Service. Following plans, which eventually fell through, to convert the building to assist persons travelling long distances for treatment at St George Hospital, the Southern Health Service sold the property to developers, who wanted to drastically change the character of the building. The Kogarah Bay Progress Association was very active in lobbying Council to protect the heritage building. This was a big win for the Association, as the building was protected and eventually transformed into twenty four residential apartments.
bay vista function centre
This function centre operated from a family home on Carlton Cres, Kogarah Bay since 1949. New owners wanted to increase the hours and usage of the function centre, which is located in a residential area. KBPA successfully lobbied against the increase of hours and usage of the function centre on behalf of neighbouring residents.
Carss Park Bowling Club
When the Carss Park Bowling Club was closed down, it was proposed to sell the land off for private uses with options presented that included a licensed club, restaurant/café, function centre, and aged care facility. KBPA fought to strongly oppose the development of an aged care facility and function centre and expressed support for both the removal of the club building and a return to open space. Ultimately, part of the land was re-classified as ‘operational’, and The Carss Park Narani Child Care Centre was opened in 2007, however the campaign was successful, as the land was retained as a community asset, rather than be sold off to private interests.
As early as 1931, the KBPA successfully lobbied to get improved bus routes for the area.